Our Mission

The Fox Chapel Garden Club’s mission is to further the appreciation and knowledge of gardening and to advocate sound environmental stewardship.

 

 

 

OUR HISTORY

Twenty-six women met on June 2, 1931 at the home of Mrs. A.P. Hill to have informal discussions on gardening and founded Fox Chapel Garden Club (FCGC).  Within ten years the number of members grew to 60, and each had an invited speaker.  By 1933 the Club felt a need for a centralized location to obtain and disseminate gardening information.  Led by Mrs. Harold Nomer and Mrs. A.P. Meyer, and with other existing garden clubs and Pittsburgh City Council, they found a building to rent in Schenley Park.  In 1935 the first Pittsburgh Civic Garden Center opened serving ninety garden clubs.  In June 1948 the Center moved to Fifth and Shady Avenues.  From its beginning in 1935 until 1953, the Center had only two presidents, Mrs. Nomer and Mrs. John Oliver, both of whom were FCGC members.

In the 1950s garden therapy programs were led by FCGC members at Leech Farm and the Veterans' Hospital on Delafield Road.  In 1975 a therapy program was initiated at Harmarville Rehabilitation Hospital, now HealthSouth.  The program continued for 32 years.  In 1996 FCGC created an outdoor garden to be used by therapists and patients.   

 

Copyright 2012-2013 by Fox Chapel Garden Club | Terms Of Use | Privacy Statement | Created by Connect 2 Clubs